Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Looking for a job

Well, I thought that I would keep a blog for before, during and a bit after I get job for a cruise ship to let you all know exactly what I went through to get there. So I’ll catch you up to speed.


In early March, I got the idea from my father about getting a job on a cruise ship, since a friend of his was doing it, and he was making great money. He didn’t have to work many hours, and he got to do music 7 days a week. I was pretty curious because in this economy, a regular job as a musician isn’t a bad gig in the least.

So I searched for information. And that was as easy as typing in “cruise ship musician.” I came across a site called musicianwages.com. It had a blog from another musician who had gone through the ropes of working on a ship. He gives you the run down for EVERYTHING. From what to pack, to what is required, pay, living situations, length, pros, and cons,etc. So I read through everything. I really decided it was the kind of job I wanted.

So, I went on google and search for Cruise Ship agents. I came across Proship, Landeau Entertainment, and Oceanbound Entertainment. I applied to Proship, simply because it was easy as filling out an application. So, I dwelled on the info in front of me and asked as many questions as I could.

Proship emailed me back and said they liked the music, and wanted to talk to me on the phone. They said they wanted a video audition. So, I got that together. I wasn’t sure if should record a video just to show that I could play live, or if they wanted this super awesome recording! So I just set up my isight on my imac, and recorded me playing in my room. I quickly got an email that said the music performance is great, but the video is very unprofessional.

So in between the time I got the email and recorded a new video, I was searching on craigslist for cruise jobs. I came across Landeau, and they had a an email to send an application to. So, I did, and quickly got an email back saying they too were interested. They just wanted a professional video.

I got a shirt and tie and kakis, and set up a camera and recorded me playing on a PA, and sang about an hours worth of music. I uploaded it and sent it in, and both companies liked it a lot.

So while I waited for them to contact me back, I went and ordered my Passport. Cost one hundred and one dollars. SO, I let both companies know I ordered it, and they haven’t really talked much with me since.. So, being as impatient as I am (because I want the Job from June to January, since I’m taking a semester off from college), I sent info to the third company, Oceanbound. They too liked the music, and said they would search for a job for me, and let me know when they found one.

So, I waited another week. I then spoke with my father about his friend, and obtained his email. I asked him how he got on the ship and such, and he gave me the guy who hired him’s email. I had heard the man’s name before from a professor of mine, which I found kind of ironic. Sure enough, when I emailed the person, he was a graduate from my college, and he was very happy to hear from me. He told me he’d give me a call this week about getting stuff on the run to get hired.

That’s where I am for the moment. I will update, as I find out more!!


No comments:

Post a Comment