Thursday, July 30, 2009

Last day of my first week.

July 29th, 1:54 AM


Today was a sea day. SO, pretty much everyone is on the ship and it’s a tad more crowded than usual which is fine. After my late night last night, I crashed hard. My Alarm went off at 9, and I slept more ‘til ten. Got up, took a shower, went and ate breakfast, checked internet stuff, checked out the Capper (which is like a paper that tells passengers when and where entertainment is taking place. I checked my name and it said Atrium 7:15 until 11:15. I came back to my room and napped on and off until 1, where my boss knocked on my door to sign my safety test paper. He then informed me that I’d be playing in the piano bar from 8- late. I was happy to hear that. I went back into my room, and napped until two, for when I had my PCS Test (a safety test to make sure you know what to do.)


I got a couple wrong answers, but the guy grading it helped me along. Afterwards, I got my camera and went for a walk. In the atrium there was a jazz band playing so I watched for a little bit. During that time, people that had sawme from the night before came up to me and thanked me for “saving the night,” and that it was the highlight of their cruise. Others came and told me I was great and stuff like that. All flattering. One couple, Shane and Juli, who have hung out at the atrium and watched me play every night since they had been there, saw me and we chatted for a good half hour. I’ve probably talked with them and got to know them better than anyone (passengers and crew members alike). Really nice people, and I hope to meet them again sometime in the future. They asked if I’d like to join them on a tour of the Galley. I agreed and as we started to follow the tour group, I realized we were going into a dining aread (one I shouldn’t be in for eating) and I got scared and bailed. I went back and listened to the Jazz Band. My boss was playing trumpet. Very good player.


After that, I took another nap from 4 to 5 until Dinner, and I went and ate there. Afterwards, I restrung my guitar. After that, I went up to the 3rd ship deck, and went out side and saw AMAZING glaciers. SOO gorgeous. Pictures and movies really can’t do them justice. At one point part of the ice broke and fell into the water. A huge thunder sound happened afterwards. I managed to get a picture as it hit the water, but sadly no video. After the amazing pictures, I ran back to my room to prepare for my new gig in the piano bar. I got my stuff, and got there about a half hour early. I spoke with the bartended, Nunik. She’s a very nice girl (she’s 27) and from the Philipines, but a very cool girl. She told me that last night had been her best night ever in that room after I joined. She said she wants to bartend where ever I am. She took very good care of me, making sure I had water and such. I was very appreciative.


So the bar was empty for about 15 minutes as I played, then all of a sudden EVERYONE who had been out to see me through out the week showed up and filled the bar, and it was a non stop party until 1 AM. I made 58 bucks in tips. I haven’t had a pay day yet, but so far my tips have gone to about 160 bucks. 130 of which was in the last two days. I had a great time playing. Everyone sang along, and it was one of the best gigs I had ever had. After everyone left, Nunik told me they did very well again that night, and that I was very good and she’d be surprised if I wasn’t a music director by my next contract.


I went and checked my email (I had emailed the guy who hired me and let him know I was loving the job, and that my boss liked me.) He said he’d look to see if they want to keep me on. So.. keep your fingers crossed!!


OK.. I’m going to bed. Got more orientation stuff tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. The glacier views are really GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!
    and fingers crossed. as usual.

    ReplyDelete