Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Guitar Hero.

Today was a long and quite an eventful day. I slept 'til 10:30 am. The latest I've slept in awhile, and was well needed. I started studying for my Safety Test I have tomorrow. Met up with Amanda and went to Sitkah via lifeboat, and we took a look around. We saw an Raptor rehabilitation center. Got to see a few bald eagles (I'll post pictures when I have fast Internet.) We managed to get back by 4:15, just in time for me to get my gear together so that I could do my gig at 5:00. I got there, and got playing and got a good crowd going. I was having quite a good time. Got to talk to my co-workers a bit and make friends. Made 30 dollars in tips for playing 2 songs. At one point the sound man, James was standing out front listening to me. Turns out the Supper Club thought I was being too loud but he thought I was fine. Then my boss and him both stood out front and listened. They took the elevator up to the club, and came back to let me know that only my high singing songs are of any problem. So my boss asked if I could move my songs around. Make my high energy ones for the beginning and spread it out. All polite and no problems!

After the gig was done, I talked with the piano player who was taking the stage after me. He was interested in how I rigged my computer to show my sheet music and switching it with a foot pedal. So he said he would look into ordering one.

Afterwards, I went to my room, and was starting to feel seasick (it's stormy outside, so, I was going to lay to go to sleep. My phone started ringing. I was going to ignore it because I thought it would be a wrong number, but I answered and it was my boss. "Derek! Can you come help in the piano bar?" Very confused I replied "Um.. sure, for what?"

"I need you to play. My piano player drank a little too much and can't finish the night" He said. (not to be confused with the piano player who played after me, this was another). So, I agreed and brought my acoustic guitar and got down to the piano bar that was SLAMMED with workers and passengers alike. There was a piano player playing piano while one of the show singers sang. My boss introduced me, and I played another 2 hours. About 6-7 hours of playing in 8 hours. But EVERYONE loved it. My boss was most pleased, all my co-workers sang along, and I was told that was the most wild it has ever been. I made over 40 in tips from that room alone. I met new people to hangout with. All of them told me how much they liked my music, and how great they thought I was, and I shouldn't worry about having to move ships. My boss took me aside, and told me he'll do all he can to let HQ know that I'm great and should stay on the ship. He also is thinking of moving me into the piano bar (ironically) because he thinks I'll get a great reaction that way. During one of the last songs, my boss took the mic, and called me the Guitar Hero for "saving the night" because they said without me, it would have been miserable. He joked that the piano bar may turn into the Guitar Bar, so.. yay! Two girls stayed after, Danielle and Jennifer, and they both are from the vegas-style shows. They told me they'd start pulling me along to things, so I could meet some people, though they said I made a great impression on everyone and I shouldn't have any troubles meeting and hanging out with people.

Though I'm exhausted, I had a great time, and the group was great, singing along and such. I felt very accepted, and I can't wait to meet more people to hang with. So... Great great night. I made my good first impressions!

1 comment:

  1. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! (sorry, sore throat ;))

    ReplyDelete