Monday, August 3, 2009

Working out and being social

Last night was pretty uneventful. In fact, I fell asleep by 11 o clock. I woke up at 6:40 to the sound of some loud motor below (one of the engines, I guess). Took about an hour to fall back asleep. Then I woke up at 10:45. I quickly got dressed, for I was due at a boat drill. So I got my green hat and life jacket and arrived to see Amanda, Bryan, Doug (another soloist), Simon (One of the training personnel from England. Really cool guy) and James (sound tech) with many others. The drill consisted of us being shown where all the life boats and life rafts were and then told that in three weeks the coast guard was coming on the ship for a drill, so they wanted to make sure we all knew what we were doing.

Afterwards, I went and got my workout clothes on and went to the gym. It was pretty empty. I ran on the treadmill and the elliptical machines. Tomorrow, I’ll work on lifting some stuff for weight loss.

I ran back to my room, showered up, and went to lunch, which consisted largely of fruit, and yogurt. Pretty delicious if I do say so myself.

Then I went BACK to my room, and found myself blocked in by painters, that were repainting our area. So I was stuck in my room until 4:40. I got my tux on and went and played in the atrium for an hour. It was a real good crowd this time around. I miss playing there. I love standing and playing. I noticed the guy who worked with the Goo Goo Dolls there listening with his family.

After I got done, I moved my equipment to the piano bar, and then went and got some miniature Spirit ornaments that I’m going to send to some family and friends.

Then Amanda and I went and ate dinner. She pointed out a girl who was stalking the golf pro teacher. The girl was a cute blonde, and from England. She had come to me a few days earlier and said I did amazing at the show. SO, now that i have the red flag, I can’t be too nice. Being too nice sends bad messages and gets stalkers.

After dinner, I went out on the deck and just gazed at the beautiful scenery. The sun was out in a red haze, as the mountains passed us with snow on them. Quite gorgeous. Then I went to my room to hang until 8:30.

Made my way to the piano bar, and had a good little crowd hanging out. A couple had just renewed their vows for their 50th anniversary. So I tried to pull every old song out of my book as I could. Amanda visited with a Ketchikan Chocolate... and it was damned good. Definitely gave me a sugar rush. She said she’d talk to me later about going to the crew bar to socialize.

At 12 o’clock the manager said I could leave. (The ship was dead.. very old crowd on this particular cruise.) So I went to my room and got dressed in very casual clothes and decided to go to the crew bar on my own. When I got there, I didn’t see anybody I knew too well. So I went and bought a 1.5 liter bottle of water, and brought it back to my room. But refusing to give up on socializing, I went back. I noticed the bass player from the Jazz band sitting with a couple guys. He waved me over so I went and sat there. He’s around 50 years old, and he’s from England. Really nice guy. He was sitting and talking with the Golf Pro, Mike. So I chatted with both of them for awhile. I had 2 beers, but that was more than enough for me. Mike told me all about the stalker and such. He told me not to start any convos with her and avoid convos if she starts them.

A sound tech came and sat down named Trevor. He was my age, and a real nice guy as well. Mike got up at some point, so it was me, the bass player, and Trevor all talking about music, ship life, the road, etc. We all made our way to the bow deck, and continued chatting. The air was FREEZING.... Reminded me of Titanic.. as dark as it was. The bass player (he never actually gave me his name. I hope to get it tomorrow) told me he thought I sounded great and I didn’t play like a 22 year old, and that I was beyond my years. Which was a cool compliment. He said I was the right guy for the job, and was glad I got it. Trevor said he’d definitely go out of his way to come see me sometime soon. So that was all cool.

After that, I wanted to go to the lido deck (the deck where passengers eat) and use my privilege to get some good food. I went up to the pizzeria (which is open 24/7). They had salmon pizza, caesar salad pizza, and many other specialties.I stayed basic with pepperoni, but I look forward to trying the others.

WELL, I’m tired.. time to hit the sack.

2 comments:

  1. "...with dark chocolate, the only way to get into your heart.." haha!
    Anyway, stay nice. and, please, NO MORE TITANICS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the fun thing I find with having cruise ship jobs is that it is a great way to meet new people and have new friends. Its also a free ticket to the world. Work and travel at the same time.

    ReplyDelete