Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Good Things

It’s 1:36 AM right now, and I’m about to set my clock forward an hour as we make our way towards Vancouver. Today, I slept in, since I was up so late last night. I woke up at 11. Got cleaned up and went and ate lunch, which consisted much of fruit and yogurt. I love the fact that that’s available every day. It makes me so happy when I see it!
Afterwards I checked the Caper, which listed me as playing from 9:30 to late in the Piano bar. A very late start compared to my other times. So, I went to my room and started recording a demo of my new song. I managed to get through the drums, bass, and guitars. My voice wasn’t too warmed up so I’ll work on that in the next couple days. Afterwards, I just played some games on the psp, and watched Forrest Gump. Such a good movie. Afterwards, I made my way to dinner, and managed to burn the top of my mouth with HOT Mashed potatoes. The outside of the potatoes weren’t steaming, so I thought I’d be fine. How wrong I was. The hot stuff was in the middle..so that got me good.
After dinner, I went upstairs and talked with Megan and Amanda a little bit.. Then went down to the crew training area (in this place you can learn another language, learn how to use a pc, learn business, how to save money, powerpoint and many other things in your free time. I went and talked with Simon for a bit in boredom, but decided I would try learning Spanish for real... Since I have so much time on my hands. I’ll start tomorrow around 10 AM.
Afterwards, I came to my room, and ended up taking an hour nap because of a minor headache. I woke up around 8:45, and got my stuff together and went to the piano bar, There was a girl there, that I had seen the first day of this cruise. Found out she was a senior in high school from Colorado. And she has taken 7 years of violin. I ended up starting at 9:15 because I was bored, and because she was there to listen.
After about 45 minutes, another couple came in, and started requesting lots of my soft ballads. Billy Joel, Elton John, and others in the genre. Found out the woman was a nurse who travels to different ships every two cruises.But her and her husband enjoyed it very much, which I was most happy for. Then they left, and a group of Indians (folks from India) sat around and asked if I knew Beatles. So I played through all the Beatles songs and they sang along, and they requested more and more. Then a c ouple other ladies joined, and then some of the 14 year olds that were watching a few nights ago. It was a pretty cool group. Then everyone realized that the clocks were being pushed forward, so most of them went to bed. The two girls hung and asked lots of questions about my job, and how I got it and such.
I was finished at about 1. Got my stuff and put it in my room, then went to go get a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I was starving! My boss, and some of my fellow musicians were there, so I went and sat with them. My boss, whose name is Gerhard, joked that he needed me to play 10 hours tomorrow. Then he said he had a paper he needed me to sign. I asked if it was a bad piece of paper, and he shrugged his shoulders and said “I guess you’ll just have to see”.
I’m not gonna lie.. I was a little worried. I wasn’t sure if I missed something, or whatever. So I finished up my cereal and went to go retrieve the paper. It was a positive comment sheet. It was filled out by Gerhard, saying “Derek is a high energy performer and shows outstanding people skills, no matter if it's among his fellow crew members or if it's indulging guests into his music. After performing already 4 hours on 7/27, Derek was needed to sub in the piano bar where he performed nonstop for another 2.5 hours and quadrupled bar revenue compared to average nights.” It was signed by both the Cruise director and Gerhard. So, that was a pretty cool thing to see. Boasts the morale a bit. I don’t know where it’s being sent too and what it means for me exactly, but at least I know I’m doing my job well, and I’m fitting in well.

Well, it’s 1:57... but let’s just say it’s 2:57. I’m off to sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Well, that is the only good news for the last 2 days. BUT IT IS WORTH IT! Congrats, wonderful! U'RE THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete