Saturday, August 8, 2009

A TIRED day... but a GREAT NIGHT

SOOOOOOO tired today.. My God... I woke up at 5:45 AM to shower, and go to immigration. There was already a line of 40 people there. So, I was in line for about 45 minutes, and then I managed to get my stuff signed and stamped. As I was leaving, the line out grew the one I was in by 10 times... Trevor and I went and ate breakfast, since we were already up. I got scrambled eggs and bacon. It was pretty satisfying. Chris ended up sitting with us, and then Gabriel, the showband guitarist. I asked him if he had to do real sight reading for guitar. He said it was mostly just knowing the chords.

Afterwards I went to my room and slept until 10:40 AM. I got my raincoat on and went into Ketchikan for about 20 minutes. I mailed off my CD to corporate so that I can start selling them. Lots of people already have been asking for the burnt ones... So I don’t think I’m going to have a problem with selling professional made ones.

After that, I checked my texts and answered a few. There weren’t too many. Most people got the hint that I won’t be using my phone much while I’m gone. I went back on the ship, then went and ate lunch. I sat and talked with one of the security officers. His name was Mark. He was very friendly as well.

Then I went back into the Atrium bar and sat and waited for Amanda because we were supposed to go into town together. As I waited, I saw Dean and he came and sat and talked. Then me, Edwuardo (The Bar tender) and Dean met a man named Jesse, who helps build engines for the NASA shuttles. We talked for about an hour. He explained everything about them, and how powerful they are. He says they’re still using 60’s and 70’s technology. They haven’t varied too much from that. He also said that when they retire the space shuttles next year, we won’t have one for 4 more years. Due to poor management of money I suppose. Very informative fellow.

After that, I saw Amanda talking with her mom on the phone, and she apologized and said she was really drugged up from being sick and she couldn’t leave the ship. I went back to my room to restring my guitar, and took another hour long nap. It was unquenchable sleep. I just felt more and more tired.

At 4:40, I went and set up and performed at the Atrium. Another good little crowd. I had a lot of fun talking, but I was very aware my voice was suffering from the lack of sleep, for it was harder to hit my notes than usual, and I cracked a couple times, so I started dropping the keys to a lot of songs to offset myself.

After that set, I saw Colleen working at the guest services desk, so I went and had a 14 second conversation with her until a customer just kind of pushed by me and asked a question. But in the 14 seconds, Colleen said she was going to come and see me play tonight. After our talk, I went and ate a small dinner, then ran to the Deco lounge to play a 30 minute set. The deco lounge is a really small place near the dining area where chairs are all around you. In that half hour, every chair was full and I had everyone’s attention. I was having a great time. Then in the middle of a song, I heard someone whisper into my ear “take a 10 minute break.” I assumed it was a boss telling me, so afterwards, I told everyone that would finish up my set. But then I turned to see the person who told me to take a break, and it was just some passenger, who was about to start a birthday party in another room. That kind of pissed me off, because I only had 10 minutes left to play, and I do get paid to be here for a reason. SO I was just slightly aggravated about that.

I dumped my stuff off at the piano bar, and went and took another 15 minute nap. That didn’t seem to help much. I came back to the bar, and started setting up my stuff, and within a few minutes my crowd from the night before was back, with a set of some people that had seen me earlier. I was very tired by this point and really just didn’t have the energy. Colleen and a couple of her friends came to watch and requested songs. Neil, Dean, Rich, and Neil’s Girlfriend hung around all night. During my one break, Neil went through my setlist and picked all the songs he wanted to hear that night (which was fine by me.. At least I knew they’d be happy!) I sat and talked with Colleen and her friends. All real nice girls. They all work at guest services. I probably talked with them for about a half hour. Then I went back to playing, and from there on out it was a straight party. I loosened up a bit, and started having a lot of fun, making jokes, adding people’s names to songs. Megan came out and sang a few songs for me. Colleen’s friends had to go to work at some point but Colleen stayed the whole time with everybody. Neil told me that tonight was the best night so far on the cruise and they all look forward to me playing on Sunday (since tomorrow is my day off.)

So my crappy night ended up being a really great night. After I was done, Colleen waited around for me, and I told her I’d walk her to her room since she stayed out to watch me (though it is right on my way.) When we got there, I asked if she had scissors or something to cut my shoe laces with (my shoe laces are REALLY long... and I have to triple knot them to make them untrippable.) She just so happened to have a razor blade. So she met me in my room, and I showed her around (She said her room is different because the top bunk doesn’t push to the side.. It’s stationary.) She helped me measure the length of the shoe laces and get them cut right. She told me she had a really fun time and I told her she definitely needed to come out again soon. Then she said to enjoy my WHOLE day off (since she works 7 days a week.. only gets sections of days off.) I walked her back to her room, came back (which took a total of 12 seconds,) and here I am writing away. Now I’m going to sleep til about 9:30, shower up, and go into town and use free fast internet.


SOOO, ‘til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment