Friday, August 14, 2009

Movies, BUSY night, with a little Disco

9:30... I woke up, and went out to do the boat drill. It sure was FREEZING... God... was it cold. Had to be in the lower 40s. But it went by real fast. Then I headed to my room, and got showered up and went to lunch. Afterwards, I went to my room, watched “Pleasantville’, worked on a experimental song.... then watched part of “Simon Birch.” Before I left to play my gig in the Atrium, I almost forgot to put on my TUX. So... I did that quickly, and went and played. It was a really good group watching today. One woman that saw me yesterday asked for “Grounded,” so I got to playing that. Warm reception. After I finished up, I went to dinner, and managed to catch a few minutes of the 4th quarter in the Steelers preseason game. They won 20-10! Cool stuff..

Finished up “Simon” and looked through some of my footage from the movie we never finished. Really funny stuff. Made me really miss all my friends from college, like Nick, Drew, Paul, Jake and Caibel. It’s a shame that the chances of getting us all together are real slim.

I went to my gig at the Shanghai bar... and as I was setting up, I realized my microphone was missing. I ran back to the atrium, and Jim had already set up his stuff, and he wasn’t around... I saw Colleen at the guest services desk, so I said my hellos to her. She told me she was working until 12:30 so I told her to come see me, and I’d play her the Killers song I learned for her. I ran back to my room and grabbed my spare mic, and went back to get started. I started playing around for a few minutes, and within a half hour, the whole bar was full of people singing along and having a great time. The gig flew so fast. Amanda came by, and I asked her if she could ask Jim if he had my mic. She asked if I wanted to go to Disco... I wasn’t really feeling it.. so I told her “We’ll see.”

At the end of the gig, I managed to pull in 49 dollars in tips, and have a lot of people tell me they’d be back tomorrow. Though at one point during the night my age came up, and I asked the crowd how old they thought I was. Someone told me 34... then someone else said 27. Pretty insulting for the 34.. But they all said my sound and the way I interacted didn’t seem like that of a 22 year old so they were all shocked. As I was breaking down, Amanda and Leighton came by and told me to meet them at the crew bar. So I broke down, and before I left, Colleen stopped in... but she was too late. She told me she was going to crew bar and that I should come along... And I did the whole “eh... I really don’t want to.” but she said “You’re coming! I’ll see you there” and she walked off. So I took my stuff to my room, got out of my tux, and into a dress shirt and tie, and went to the crew bar. I saw Amanda immediately and she instructed me to get a drink. So I got a corona. I went back and she was talking to someone else so I just drank my beer and looked at the tv. One of Colleen’s friends was sitting by Amanda, and she yelled my name and said “Colleen is over there! Go say hi to her!” I turned and saw her walking from the bar with two large water bottles. I said Hi, but she said she had to take those to her room, and she quickly walked off. So... alone... I went back to where Amanda was, and I saw that jim was sitting down. So I sat and had a talk with him about the job. He’s a real cool guy. He told me Doug is making 1000 a week, and he’s been at the company 5 years. And another friend of his makes 1200 a week, and he’s been 7. Pretty promising pay for the work that we do, if I had nothing else going on. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Colleen had come in by then and was sitting with a bunch of the guest services girl, and Simon. So I went over to say hello to Simon, and told him that I had a class tomorrow morning at 9. Turns out he’s teaching it. He said he would get it done as fast as possible so we could all go into town. Colleen mentioned she was going into town around twelve, and I asked if I could tag along. After a bit of talking, Simon said he was going to crash since he had to be up two hours before me. Soon after, Colleen said she was going to bed, so I walked her to her room, and told her I’d call her around 11:45 about going out.

Then I headed to disco because I told Amanda I would. When I got there, the place was dead... SO I turned around and went back to my room. Now the disco is on the complete opposite side of the ship. So It’s a good 7 minute walk. When I opened my door, my phone was ringing. I was sure it was Amanda calling to ask where I was and why the hell I wasn’t at the disco. But it was a softer voice, and it turned out to be Colleen. She asked if I wanted to go to Disco. I agreed, and she said she’d meet me there. So... I walked back, and there were a bit more people. I saw Debbie, and she said hi and introduced me to her roommate. Gabe was there, so I said my hellos to him. Two gentleman that had seen me play the last two nights came and complimented me on my set and asked if I was there to party. I saw some of Colleen’s friends and informed them she was on her way. They didn’t believe me.. But eventually she showed up. Me, Colleen and two of her friends went out on the dance floor and danced for awhile. Gabe was dancing dirty with this one girl. He had some moves on him. Colleen asked if I wanted to see a movie in Juneau with her on Saturday since she gets a day off.. her first in like two months. So, I said of course, and I asked if she wanted to go to supper club since going alone was kind of boring, and she said she would for sure.

After dancing the night away, we all went to our cabins, and here I am... ready to get 4 hours sleep... before this class, Sitka with Colleen, an early gig, a piano bar gig, and the crew bar gig... Then my day off on Saturday! So... here I go!


No comments:

Post a Comment