Thursday, August 20, 2009

2 days of craziness..

I’m installing some software right now, so I thought I would write my blog for yesterday and part of today while I’m waiting for it to finish.

Yesterday, I got a phone call from Amanda about going to lunch at 11:30. But I declined. I was far too tired. I got up closer to 1 PM. I restrung my guitar, and did my usual stuff.

I had to play in the atrium from 5-6. A lot of the people that had been watching me from the night before were there. It was fun. After I finished, I went to dinner with Amanda in the Crew mess. I had a cheeseburger and fries and she had her usual salad. Leighton was there too. So we chatted it up for awhile.

Afterwards, I went back to my room and burned a LOT of my albums, to give to those who tipped. When I went to set up, I chatted with Nunik for a bit about why she hasn’t dated in awhile. And then Rachel came by, and picked up an album and said goodbye. She had lots of packing to do and she needed a real night’s sleep. So she didn’t stick around A lot of people tipped and I managed to give out over 20 albums. The night gig was pretty quiet for a few hours. Then it picked up, but my lack of sleep caught up me and I just wasn’t feeling the energy. But it was my boss’s last night, as well as Roxanne’s last night... So after the gig, I went to the crew bar to find my Boss was already in bed, but Roxy was there with Colleen and the other girls from the front desk. I hung around for a little bit and chatted. Then headed to the disco because I promised a lot of the people that saw me I’d come out to see them.

It was pretty dead there, but there were all there. A couple people told me they had agents and such that they would give my album too. So, lots of networking! I spoke with some girl from Illinois for an hour or so. She was the girl dancing it up with Gabe the other night. She was a little aggravated that he didn’t come up to say goodbye, since they were kind of hanging out over her cruise. (The reason was that he kinda didn’t really like her,) but I played along and just pulled the ignorance card.

After that, I went to sleep.. Then I got a phone call at 7:30 am. I answered, and it was Amanda crying. She said she was fired and had to be off the boat by 9. I asked her what she did, and she said she didn’t know. She asked me to come say goodbye to her and that she’d call me. But by 9:10 I hadn’t gotten a call. So I went out looking for her, and couldn’t find her... So... I’ll be pretty sad if I didn’t get to give an official goodbye. Hopefully I’ll hear from her soon.

I went into town, and got Apple Logic to record some new music, and some monitors so I could mix my music on something real.. and not my laptop speakers. I also bought 2 weeks worth of strings (12 boxes). The speakers were pretty heavy. I had to walk them back 10 blocks back to the ship, which seemed pretty impossible. But half way there, one of the bar cleaners, who is indonesian saw me and helped me carry one back to the ship. He said he hears me every night and really likes my music and thinks I’m really good. I was most grateful.

I got back on the ship, and came and showed James and Colleen my stuff, since they were both at guest services. We chatted for a bit, and then I lugged my stuff down to my room, reorganized my desk so that my speakers would fit (I had to move the tv... I’ll probably let someone who doesn’t have one in their room use it.) And I’ve been installing Logic and BFD 2... as I take 10 minute naps here and there. But now I gotta shower, and get ready for boat drill. I play at 7:30 to 8:15 in the Atrium, and then 9-12 or 1. Hopefully 12. Tonight I’m going to sleep like a baby.


ALSO, earlier when I was checking the internet, I saw that the semifinalists were voted in by the judges. Out of all 5 groups, the Goo Goo Dolls picked me. They were allowed two votes, and they only picked me! So that was pretty awesome. I’m supposed to see the comments after the voting from the people is over. SOOO!! Yay. Ok, going to shower up!


Just got out of boat drill and our bi-weekly meeting. The boat drill was same as usual, but Bryan told me Amanda was fired because they didn’t like her attitude. Sad for sure... The staff meetings just have all the staff members in a room while our boss tells us what’s going on, and all that stuff. The big boss that was here with his family enjoyed their trip, so it was all good stuff. I talked with Danielle (one of the show girls) for a quick second. She told me she went to the beach today. This is out last cruise to Whittier. Afterwards, we’re go to the glacier bay for two cruises, and then Hawaii! Mark, the assistant cruise director read one comment card, and it was for me, and it read “Derek in the Shanghai Lounge went way above and beyond. He truly made my experience on the boat and in the bar something to remember. He learned 8 songs requested by me and 2 other guys on his off time. He is the coolest guy and I will miss his humor and his beat. Thank you Derek for making my trip awesome.” Everybody clapped for me, and Danielle added the “thanks for playing in the crew bar!” So, that was pretty awesome.

On my way back to my room, I was walking with Doug and Jim, the other two soloists, and they said jokingly “Man you really went far and above to write that stuff about yourself.” and “The must have been one wild night with that girl.” I think I know who wrote it. My guess is Rich. But it could have been either Rich, Neil or Dean. Sooo,we’ll see!

Then I went to dinner, and saw Colleen and her friend from guest services. Colleen and I are supposed to go to the supper club soon, but the last two times her friend couldn’t make it, so I said I’d take them both. Good for them because they can go together, and good for me because I look like a pimp. Haha. After dinner, I walked them to their hallway, and Colleen said depending on how she felt she might come out to see me. I begged.... I have no pride. She told me to keep my fingers crossed... So.. YEAH.

Afterwards, I continued installing my software, and got ready for my first gig of this cruise.

I played it and people seemed to like it. I was definitely feeling the tiredness. My voice needed a good break. After I finished, I bumped into Marina and talked with her for a bit, then ran and set up to play. It was quite dead. Met a guy named Bill, from Kentucky. He’s 27. Nice guy. Flirted with Nunik a lot.

Colleen came out to see me! During my break I went and talked with her for awhile. Then went back up when two older ladies came in. One of them was hitting on me.. I thinking she thought I was a lot older than what I am.. My new boss, Peter came to see me..but I had just finished. So I introduced myself.

Afterwards, I walked Colleen to her room, and I came to mess with my new software and play with it. Now I’m going to bed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment