Monday, August 24, 2009

The last couple days, and my 1st month review.

I finished up yesterday walking through the rain for another hour and a half looking for the hardware store. They ended up selling me the wrong fuses even though I brought the right specifications. I got to talk to Amanda as well. She sounded good.I think she still misses it though. I know I’ll miss her ‘cause she was my good buddy.
I messed around with music a bit, took a nap, and hung around until Colleen called at ten. She came over and we watched a disc of Family guy which ended up being a little over two hours. After she left, I wrote a song, and went to sleep. Not sure if the song is keepable yet.
I woke up at 9 this morning in anticipation for the boat drill we were supposed to have. Though there was one called for the fire team, none was called for the rest of us, leaving me and a bunch of my musician counterparts confused and worried we had missed it. Turns out it was cancelled for us. The Coast Guard is conducting a drill next saturday so we wanted to make sure we knew what we were supposed to do.
I got my laundry together, and went and did that. Took naps in between loads. Ate lunch (mm mmm, fried chicken) Then I learned some new songs for my list, and tried recording some ideas down. Then it came to doing my first gig in the Deco lounge, so as I got there, an Art Seminar was taking place near where I’d be playing and I was asked if I could wait 15 minutes. No problems there. I went and said hi to Colleen, and let her see me in my tux, since apparently she hasn’t seen me in it yet. I also chatted with Megan for a bit.
At 5:15 (15 minutes after I was supposed to start) I got going, to an audience of exactly two people... who weren’t watching me... but were yet, looking out the window. So, I played quiet songs. At 5:50, people showed up and sat down, just in time for me to finish. But after I was done, I stood and talked on the mic with everyone for about 20 minutes. It was fun stuff. A few people promised to come see me late on.
I went to dinner after that, and that was... ok... Sat with Chris, the bass player, Jeff and another dude I don’t really know. They all asked if I was coming to jam in Whiter on Tuesday night, since it’s our last night of going there. (Every Whiter, the musicians go and set up in this bar in town, and they jam all night, and all the crew come out and party. I’ve missed it the last two times because I didn’t know about it. Apparently it’s an all night thing. Starts at 2 AM, and ends around 6. Since it’s the last night, I said I’d go).
Went back to my room, and messed more with my song. Then left to go to my gig about a half hour early to get a coffee to wake me up. On my way out of my hall, I saw Colleen talking with a friend. To avoid being rude, I just said hey and kept walking. After I reached a flight of stairs, she called for me to wait up. We met up with a friend of hers and they went shopping in the gift store. Looking at jewelry and such. Colleen made a joke about me looking to buy her something. But.. I laughed that off. She’s crazy. I don’t buy jewelry. Hah.
Afterwards, she walked me to the Coffee shop, and we split ways and I got my mocha, and went and played my gig. The crowd was pretty good tonight, and I was feeling good about singing. I was well rested and very talkative, and had a lot of fun making jokes and stuff.
Now I’m here writing this out.
It also occurred to me that 2 days ago was a month since I started working here, and I thought I should give the overall impression and feel of it all!

My impressions so far are that the job is really great. I’m getting paid very well to do what I love, I love the people I work with, the audiences have been a lot of fun, the scenery is gorgeous, having my own room rocks, big paychecks, getting hit on by older women, and so on and so forth. Honestly, as from this stand point, the only part of the job I wish I had was access to my best friends back home. Friendships come and go on the cruise ship, and that makes it hard to hang out with people and such. Right now Colleen is the only friend I hang out with. I see Leighton from time to time, and I have what I call “passing friends,” as in people who know me and I know, and we say hi, eat lunch and go our own way. Internet is kind of expensive too. But as of now I love it, and I find myself to be very lucky being able to do this for a living. This is a great back up career choice.
Well, I’m beat. Time to catch some ZZZs. ‘til I write again!

No comments:

Post a Comment