Tuesday, December 15, 2009

4 days passed... still going!

Ugh, I’ve been getting behind on updating this thing. Not because I don’t care. Just lack of time. I’m working on a couple little projects, and I devote a lot of my free time to them. OK! So, a bit has come to play since I last updated in Manzinillo.
The third sea day, I woke up late like I have been lately, and tried writing lyrics to the rock song. I really fought hard to do that and get it done. I finished a set, but just wasn’t happy with it, so I put it aside, and decided to start packing my ps3, movies, cds, and miscellaneous things. So I got the Beatles Rockband Box, and pulled it out and started packing. Didn’t take too long. Got everything packed in there and put away.
After I finished that, I called Rosetta Stone about getting a refund. Luckily it was a no hassle kind of phone call, and they just gave me an address to send it to, and that was about it.
I found out I was “reentered” into Catawba, and Financial Aid would send me a packet early next week.
I called Felicia, and talked to her with the rest of the phone card. Afterwards, I went to dinner, and played a rather quiet night, and finished up a little after 12. I saw Glenn walking around all dressed up. Apparently he was meeting up with someone who ended up not coming cuz her kid was sick, so he and I talked and went to the crew mess until bed. Then we went our separate ways.

Last sea day, I woke up late, and managed to find my room steward, and asked for some tape, which he supplied and I taped up my box and such. I continued to look over my rock song.. Just hitting blanks left and right. No real subject to talk about. I did a lot of loungin’ around until dinner. When I was there, I was eating with Chris and asked him about the process of shipping a big box. He said I needed to fill out a form i got from MSA (Which closed for the day) and go through customs. Also.. we’d be in town sunday, I felt there was almost no hope to send the box home. Next week is my last chance to do so because the following week.. my last week.. I have port manning.
So slightly defeated I started walking back towards my room, but as I walked by CTC, I saw one of the head MSA people. So I asked him what I could do. He questioned how I would mail something home on a sunday, but he told me to just come in the morning and he’ll get me a form.
I went back to my room and got online to see if there were any places in the immediate area that might be open. I saw there was a UPS Store three blocks away. So I check online, and sure enough they were open 9-3 on sundays.
So I showered and got ready for my last night of playing. The crowd was really still until about 12, when people decided to show up because I was the last real performer working. It was fun. I sold 3 CDs, and I sat with a group that had been to see me times before. They all said I was the best on the ship by far, and I deserve to be in a better place. They were all real nice. One guy gave me a $15 giftcard to starbucks, which for those that have been reading, I go there once a week, so that should take care of the rest of my purchases there.
After all that, I went back to my room to sleep for the busy morning.

San Diego Day! I woke up at 8 and got dressed, and walked around impatiently until 8:30. The guy was there, and he printed off my form and told me to bring my stuff to the crew bar. When I got there, there were a bunch of people signing off. Chris and his girlfriend, Gabe, Sasima, Marina (the first girl I met on the ship) and a few others. We were supposed to be there at 9, but of course 9 means 9:25 on the ship. No one seems to have any time discipline. The handle to my box broke, so I had to put my es-335 on top of it and pick the box up from the floor horizontally. And it was heavy. When I got off the ship, I put it on the ground and just slid it to the xrays. Everything went through quick and painless, and I managed to find a taxi. The guy took me 3 blocks to the store, and dropped me off (like most taxis do.) As I was walking towards the door, I heard a voice hassling me about buying the Beatles rockband. I just thought it was some homeless guy who wanted money (which really wouldn’t be hard to believe, if you look around town. It was Glenn though. He helped me get into the place and told me another idea he had for our cartoon.
So, I filled out the paper work and got everything weighed and shipped, and I was reminded why I never want to pay to package something at a UPS Store. It cost me 491 dollars to mail 2 guitars, a box of stuff, and Rosetta Stone. The guitars cost 200 each to package and ship. I’m debating taking my Les Paul Robot on the plane with me, because even overages would only be 125 to get it on the plane. I’d save 75 bucks just like that. The guy told me it wouldn’t cost less than 200 to ship it... So... what’s the point.
Afterwards, I called Nick and we talked about the band thing, life and all that. He’s doing well. He really wants to be promoted to manager by January. Hopefully he achieves that.
Went to Starbucks, and got online and did my updating and all that. Nick called back and I got lunch and finished up that convo. Afterwards, I called my Dad, and told him what to be expecting in the mail. He told me Jenn and Him would drive down with me and bring some furniture so I wouldn’t have to go out and buy any for Christmas, which would be just fine for me. Giving me a bed and a couple couches and a futon would save me close to a thousand bucks.
Afterwards, I called Felicia and we talked for a good hour or so. I got on the ship to drop some stuff off. As I was coming down my hall, I saw Peter talking with a red head woman. Her name is Jessica, and she is my new MD. She seemed nice enough.
After boat drill and the meeting, I came upstairs to do more iphone internet before it’s out of use for another 8 days. Glenn walked by with his drums to set up. He told me this real nasty Music Director that everyone hates finally quit, in necessity because he probably would have been fired. My boss Jessica became MD just so she didn’t have to work for this man again. So at least I’m safe of that, in case I ever come back.
Went to my room and got dressed up and went to dinner. Sat and ate with Glenn. As I was leaving, bumped into Jessica, and she asked if the food was any good. So I told her the truth, and she didn’t seem surprised.
I started playing for a small but interested crowd. Eventually my return friend, Kelly showed up with her friend, Lea. They watched for a bit and went to dinner. They came back after my break and requested a few songs off the album. When they left for the show, the audience all quietly said she liked me a lot. To which I replied, nothing was going to happen. I don’t want to lose my job. And other things are developing on land, and I’d rather not complicate that.
It was DEAD by 12, so I broke down and went to my room and started messing with some lyric ideas. Eventually fell asleep.

The next morning, I was woken up by 10 announcements.. first quiet, then very loud in repeat every five minutes. Guest Services kept paging someone who apparently was missing. Turns out the guy was passed out in a girls room. He didn’t hear any of the announcements. A lot of crew and I would have liked to have dumped him overboard...
I started working on my cartoon. Went to lunch and talked with Randy about computers. Then went back to the cartoon, watching Seinfeld until 6ish, then went to dinner. Glenn and I started eating, then Jessica and Peter joined us. Jess has sort of a New Jersian accent, but she’s from Rhode Island. I kinda made the little nudge that her and I are from the 2 smallest states in the country. She has to play finger bass on the keyboard for the band since there is no bass player on the ship.. or guitar player... for the big band. She’s a trombone player for her main instrument.
After dinner, got dressed up in the suit and went played my set. There was a good hour where my bar was full, and people were diggin’ the music. Sold a CD to these brothers, Jason and Cody. Kelly and Lea watched as well. We ended up all chatting and going up for pizza and talking about various young adult things until 4:30 am (with the clock 1 hour forward change.)
I came back to my room and passed out.

This morning, I woke up at 12, and started writing this. I got a knock at the door at about 1:35, and it was Peter. He asked if he could talk to me for a second. He told me that word came in from the office in Miami that people without approved CDs,(CD’s without a commercial) must seize to sell CDs. He asked if I had my papers, and I told him no, and he said I had to stop. But then he asked had I tried, which I told him, I mailed in my CD, to get approved and was told I’d be given a commercial, but never got one and after awhile, it proved to be unprofitable to go make CDs that late in my contract, so I just started selling these. He said they really dropped the ball on the and he’d go see what he can do. But honestly... this late in the contract.. it’s what ever.. I’ll stop putting it out, but if people tip me high enough, I’ll give them one. So then I’m never really selling them. It’s like a gift.

Anyways... I’m going to go eat on Lido deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment