Saturday, October 24, 2009

Insomnia

Well sleeping was a pretty hard thing to do last night. Because I didn’t fall asleep until 10 this morning. I watched The Longest Yard, and browsed the internet, looking through craigslist and San Diego for some cool guitars. Wanted to see if there were any deals. I did come across a robot Les Paul guitar. It was purple, but it was less than 1300 dollars. Only used 10 times and not at shows. Considering the guitar is a limited collectors item, and brand new would typically start at 2400 dollars, it was very much a steal so I contacted the seller. I had some money saved from my songwriting funds, and another Gibson guitar wouldn’t hurt to have. Aside from the fact that it’s one of the 5 guitars every guitarist should have, now I’ll have 3/5 (My Strat, Les Paul, and Es-335).
The guitar is called a robot guitar because it has mechanisms in the tuners, and some hardware built in, that lets it tune itself. I push a button and the winders wind the strings until it is in perfect tune. Not only can it do that, but you can program 6 other tunings into it and it will tune to it immediately. What’s different about this guitar from my variax (which changes tuning at the change of a switch) is that the variax uses some kind of synth technology to give it it’s tuning. Though it sounds great for live purposes, it isn’t very usable while recording in the studio. You also have to tune it by hand (not that that’s a problem.. just naming the differences.) On the Robot guitar, you simply push a button and it starts winding away. It strings itself, and if helps you fix intonation if it goes off. Minimizes the the trips to the music store to get that fixed. So, it seemed like a cool buy. The guitar is purple (not my favorite color in the world) but it is more limited than the blue ones, and that just gives me a reason to cover it up in stickers and make it look like a rock guitar.
After making the purchase, the guy told me he would drop it off (no shipping required) at the dock on Monday since he lived three blocks away. This was all done through paypal and ebay, and I have buyers protection, and he has a perfect rating, so it seemed safe enough.
After that, it was 7 am, so I made my way to breakfast. I figured the food would help make me tired. I have eggs, bacon and oatmeal. No one was in there but me and the waiters. I didn’t expect to see any of the entertainment people. Especially after the party last night.
I traveled back to my room and got online to tell a few friends from home. I called Nick and told him, and Felicia.. but the satellite cut out. I managed to get in a e-mail conversation with Nick’s real mom. She was really nice, and went on about how important I was to Nick. She asked if I wanted to come to the wedding, or if I could arrange it. Unfortunately it was so close and soon, I couldn’t make that happen on the ship in such short notice. But I’ll think of something to do!
I managed to fall asleep, but I was having dreams of the guitars and that woke me up in excitement. Now I fear I’ll never fall asleep. So I’m gonna put on The Watchmen and watch that until 5ish, where I’ll get cleaned up for my dinner tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Nicholas, we love and miss you very much...please know that nothing you ever do will change that. We hope that you find whatever it is that you're searching for...and we hope to hear from you soon! Love, Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete